SMPTE Introduces 2023 Leadership
SMPTE has announced the results of the 2022 Society Elections and introduced the board officers and regional governors who will begin serving terms in January 2023. The organization believes this leadership group will continue its work to enable interoperability across media workflows, reimagine how professionals access engineering documents and articles, and guide the Society in providing ongoing value and service to the industry.
The results of the election are as follows:
- Renard T. Jenkins of Warner Bros. Discovery has been elected SMPTE president.
- Richard Welsh of Deluxe MediA will serve as SMPTE executive vice president.
- Michael Zink of Warner Bros. Discovery will take on the position of SMPTE education vice president.
- Lisa Hobbs of MediaKind as SMPTE secretary/treasurer.
Each of these officers will serve two-year terms. They join 2022-23 officers Hans Hoffmann (past president), Sally Hattori (standards vice president), Paul Stechly (finance vice president), and Rose Lockwood (membership vice president).
“I am honored to be elected as the next SMPTE president,” said Jenkins, who will be the first African American to serve in the SMPTE president role. “I look forward to respecting the Society’s past while working with my colleagues to build a sustainable future. As we focus on cutting-edge technology, innovative tools, and diverse perspectives and ideas, we will create a forward-leaning organization to increase participation and our influence throughout the media and entertainment space. By partnering with our peers across the technology and standards sectors and being inclusive of all groups through all of our global offerings, we are laying the foundation for a more collaborative future. All these elements are essential if the Society is to continue to thrive, remain relevant, and provide a welcoming and supportive environment for professionals and students across our industry.”
New Regional Governors
For the two-year 2023-24 term, the Society has elected nine regional governors:
- Asia-Pacific Region: Tony Ngai, Society of Motion Imaging
- Canada Region: François Bourdua, VS-Tek, Strategies & Technologies
- Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Central South American Region: Fernando Bittencourt, FB Consultant
- United Kingdom Region: Chris Johns, Sky UK
- USA-Eastern Region: Dover Mundt, Riedel Communications
- USA-Central Region: William T. Hayes, Iowa Public Television
- USA-Hollywood Region: Eric Gsell, Dolby Laboratories and Marty Meyer, PRG Los Angeles
- USA-New York Region: Thomas Mauro, Media Consultant
- USA-Western Region: Jeffrey F. Way, Panasas
“We have work to do as a Society and as an industry, and the SMPTE leadership team is up to the challenge,” concluded SMPTE executive director David Grindle. “The dedication, energy, and intelligence of this group reflect the interest and passion of the larger SMPTE membership, and I am excited about the work we’ll do together as we continue to move the Society forward.”
Click here to view the full SMPTE election results.